Monday, September 6, 2010

Turmeric is beautiful

Turmeric Root
My friend posted a photo on Facebook the other day about this magnificent turmeric concoction she had made. I asked for the recipe and she said it was based on a drink made by Tumeric- from NYC. I wish I could ride my bike over and try it, but alas, that's a little far for a day trip. So, this week, I'm going to see if I can find some Turmeric Root (I'm sure WF has it) and the other ingredients and create my own version.

A woman's hands covered in turmeric paste during a Hindu ritual.
Turmeric Drink Ingredient List:
Turmeric Root (they use Hawaiian)
Ginger Root
Lemon
Cardamom (LOVE!!)
Mint Leaves
Local Raw Honey
Sea Salt
Cayenne





In the meantime, more info about Turmeric (from Turmeric-'s site):

Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is effective in combating literally all known inflammatory agents. Because chronic inflammation is the first stage of many serious health problems, curcumin may reduce the risk of arthritis, asthma, Alzheimer's Disease, and chronic fatigue.
Curcumin
The active curcumins chelate, or draw, heavy metals from blood and tissue while rejuvenating the skin, improving memory and lowering high blood pressure and bad cholesterol. The curcumin in Turmeric- not only aids digestion but protects and stimulates your most important digestive organs, including the liver, the pancreas, and the small and large intestines. Curcumin triggers the release of saliva, gastric juices, and bile flow, increasing the efficiency of fat metabolism.

Studies show that curcumin can strengthen weakened cells, empower immune response and increase serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain. Medicinally, turmeric has been said to be the "Queen" of all herbs, and is recognized as one of the Earth’s most transformative, healing, and versatile plants.

4 comments:

  1. This is great. Turmeric is something we should all consume more often, just like ginger and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to be a taste tester. I was just thinking of you while reading a National Geographic about turmeric used as a sun screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to look it up. It would do double duty as a self-tanner, only you'd end up looking like ernie from sesame street.

    ReplyDelete