Thursday, September 9, 2010

Turmeric Experiment #1

Turmeric juice with the Boulder Front Range in the background. The skies are looking a little clearer after the rainstorm doused the Fourmile Canyon fire. Love and light to all who lost their homes.
As promised, I was able to get turmeric at my local Vitamin Cottage. They were nice enough to order some in for me, so it was really fresh.

Using Tumeric-'s ingredients as inspiration along with the addition of some of my own, I created a lovely bright yellow orange juice. It was a little on the bitter side. But, I really love bitter things; we often don't get enough of that element in our diets. I read an interview with Daniel Sullivan, the creator of this lovely looking beverage, and now I want to try their elixir even more! He's right about how it makes you feel- energized and radiant.

Next time, I am thinking of adding more pineapple and some coconut meat to create a blended smoothie. The only issue is that it would use both my blender and juicer, which ends up being a lot of dishes to wash for one recipe. I wonder if this would keep in the fridge for a day or two? I know that when you juice veggies, it's recommended to drink them right away before they oxidize. Maybe a glass container, filled to the top with an airtight lid in the fridge? Hmmm...

Turmeric Experiment #1

3 inches Fresh Turmeric root (this smells so lovely and fragrant, I want to wear it from my neck!)
3 inches Fresh Ginger root
1 cup fresh Pineapple
juice of 1 Lemon
juice of 1/2 Orange

1/2 cup Filtered Water
small handful Fresh Mint leaves
Cardamom seeds
Local Raw Honey
Sea Salt
Cayenne

Using Filtered Water that has barely come to a boil, infuse the Cardamom Seeds and Mint for 10 minutes.  After the water infusion has cooled to room temperature, juice the Turmeric, Ginger, and Pineapple. Strain the water into a large glass or ball jar. Add the juices (tumeric mixture and lemon/orange). Whisk in a couple tbs. Honey, a pinch of Sea Salt, and a pinch of Cayenne to your taste.

If you make this, let me know what you think! And, if you're in the Boulder area and want to try it out, come on over and I'll make one for you.

2 comments:

  1. Love the vibrant pictures you post here Kate! Even if I can't enjoy most of the food due to my IC, I have really enjoyed looking at the images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're enjoying it! You just inspired me to do some posting on IC recipes. Stay tuned... :)

    ReplyDelete