Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rudi's vs. Udi's Gluten Free Breads


Last night, I was invited by fellow blogger, Megan from A Boulder Table to a lovely dinner at Root Down in Denver sponsored by and featuring Rudi's new Gluten Free Bakery breads. It was fabulous- see her post reviewing the dinner here. I will definitely be going back there- I see they have a Raw Food Night every Tuesday throughout the Summer. Lots of fellow bloggers attended and it was nice to connect and chat with everybody!

For a few months now, I have been eating Udi's Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread. It's the closest to a regular sandwich bread that I have found since going GF. Now, with their fun, new branding and yummy new line of Gluten Free breads, Rudi's Organic Bakery has topped it.

The menu at the Root Down dinner featured their breads deliciously. But, what about just plain toast (with Justin's Chocolate Peanut Butter of course- who eats just plain toast??!!)? How does it hold up? I put it to the test this morning and was not disappointed.



The slices are larger than Udi's (they are pretty much standard size), and the bread is softer and sweeter. Rudi's is an 18oz. loaf while Udi's is 12oz. The ingredient list is similar for the first ten or so ingredients, but Rudi's leaves out the Calcium Sulfate, Cultured Dextrose, etc...and they feature Organic Honey and Molasses. The nutrition facts are harder to compare, but overall Rudi's seems to win in that category as well. You can really taste the difference.

I wonder how Rudi's will hold up on the counter for a few days? Udi's gets a bit stale. Both Udi's and Rudi's (when the latter starts to appear- should be any day now) are sold in the freezer section of stores like Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage as well as King Soopers chains. They should also retail for the same amount according to Rudi's press release at $5.99.


Happy sandwich making!

2 comments:

  1. Kate - I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Root Down event. It was a pleasure meeting you! While we know how fantastic Rudi's Gluten-Free Bread was in the Root Down recipes, I'm so happy to hear that it held up in your kitchen as well!

    Thanks for giving us a try, we're thrilled to bring you another bread option!

    Happy eating,

    Paula Berg, on behalf of Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudi's is my favorite GF bread and I have tried many. I'm glad to have Udi's as a second option (since I can also find it in more places) but when I can find Rudi's I always choose it instead. Tastes the closest to the whole wheat bread I used to eat. Rudi's multigrain for the win!!

    ReplyDelete