Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A raw confession


I have a confession to make. Last night I made a dish so horrible I had to throw it away. My heart wasn't in it. I was hungry and rushing and should have eaten a couple crackers before I started cooking so that my ravenous appetite would allow me to think clearly and cook with clear intention. Luckily, Ryan came to the rescue with grilled cheeses. 

This afternoon, I was really hungry again, but instead of reaching for my wok, I recalled the video of Brigitte's raw cooking lesson I watched yesterday and gave it a go. I had some kale, carrots and beets from the garden as well as cherry tomatoes and basil. 

If you check out my previous post called Seven Minutes to Raw, you'll see the recipe for the Raw Kale Salad, pictured here. I added some sesame Gomaiso to the top as well. It's the easiest thing I have ever had the pleasure of making. And, I have to say it was really good. I don't usually eat a lot of Kale, but this renewed my interest in such a nutritious leafy green. Did I mention there's no pan to clean afterward? I was always sad seeing all that lovely green water from the steamed kale go down the drain. Now it's in my tummy!

For the Apple/Beet Slaw, simply...
Grate some Beet
Grate some Carrot
Add Toasted Sesame Oil (raw? not raw? not sure yet.)
Salt and lemon juice to taste

The part of my meal that wasn't raw was the Toasted Goat Cheese on Udi's Whole Grain Bread topped with Cherry Tomatoes and Basil. But, I'm not all raw and I love Goat Cheese. I wonder what equates to Goat Cheese in the raw food world? Guessing it's a nut cheese. Time to read up!

1 comment:

  1. Kale is so nutritious for us. All of those crazy looking leafy greens are what we need to eat more of more frequently.

    I just throw them all in the Vita-Mix and drink them down. But, I think I'm tempted to try this Kale salad.

    ReplyDelete